Druuugs

Everything that doesn't fit in something else goes here.

Moderator: Moderators

Moorhouse
addicted to sifnt
addicted to sifnt

Re: Druuugs

Postby Moorhouse on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm

If your looking for a fairly competitive place to buy bits and pieces for your machine check out - http://www.espressoparts.com/

Deanodriver
caffeinated and ready
caffeinated and ready

Postby Deanodriver on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:58 pm

Deanodriver wrote:Now I've got an unpressurised single floor basket, which has helped a lot too. Still able to get a decent crema, but the shot is blonding far later, even though I've got the grinder on a coarser setting (currently on 10).

I can get a very nice tasting coffee, although they're very restricted shots (30ml in 30sec with the double basket, anyone?). I think now it's less a matter of new equipment, but more a matter of improved technique. Once I can consistently grind/dose/tamp properly, I'll be laughing :) That or I'll eye a Rancilio Silvia and get the upgrade bug :)

So far the setup I'm running is:

Sunbeam Cafe Crema EM4800C
Sunbeam EM0480 grinder
eBay 51mm stainless steel tamper
eBay single-floor unpressurised basket
Five Senses beans :D

Was having issues with shots either blonding far too early or water leaking from around the filter, so the seal's been replaced. It's much nicer now :)

Using different beans, there's a coffee place near here that roasts their own beans, and their blend is good too. I don't make the stuff regularly enough to buy coffee in any bigger quantities than 250g at a time anyway :)

Kind of want to learn some latte art though :)

Deanodriver
caffeinated and ready
caffeinated and ready

Postby Deanodriver on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:33 am

Funnily enough now, I put my espresso machine into storage and no longer use it.

These days I find myself drinking more plunger coffee instead. With freshly ground beans I find it's really quite nice, also far more consistent results than my espresso machine.

Not to mention that it's far quicker to make, so I've managed to fit it into my morning routine (make coffee just before leaving and drink it on the train to work).

Now to check out different types of beans. I bought a couple packets of beans (Coffex) from the markets a week or so ago, and was drinking Jasper coffee before then. It actually seems a bit more difficult to find beans that aren't roasted for espresso, but I guess I'm not looking hard enough :)

Kind of tempted to get a coffee subscription from this place:

http://www.coffeecartel.com.au

Tried some of their beans before (and coffees from their cafe), and they're bloody nice!

Zynist Conspirashii
The Cosmic Stud Muffin Man
The Cosmic Stud Muffin Man

Postby Zynist Conspirashii on Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:26 pm

I've been drinking from my french press too. As far as beans go, I went into a local coffee store and bought some beans from Guatemala... they've been okay although I'll probably try something else if I get some more beans next time. The guy at http://www.bulletproofexec.com/coffee/ recommends getting beans that are not blended, single source high altitude cold water processed (rather than natural process) to reduce the chance of getting mold in the beans.
The secret of poetry lies in treading the middle path between the reality and the vacuity of the world.
--Basho

Previous

Return to General Discussion